Popular Songs and Music played at funerals and memorials
This page is a list of possible funeral songs. Are you looking for a beautiful piece of music…just the perfect funeral song to remember someone you love? A fitting tune to say goodbye? You have come to the right place!
To me, music is one of the most important aspects of a funeral service. In my previous business (releasing white doves) I have been to plenty of funerals and I am always interested in what music gets played at each funeral service. Even if I have never met the person that is being remembered, I can learn a lot about them by the music that is played at their funeral. It is part of the emotional reflection of a person’s life.
The funeral songs chosen to be played for your loved one will be like a treasure for you and the family and friends of your loved one as time passes and as you are processing the grief. Whenever you want to take time to remember that person, you can play their funeral songs. If you randomly hear their funeral songs on the radio, it will be a nice time to spontaneously reflect and remember that person and the good times you shared.
This funeral song list is quite long, but by no means complete. If you know of other suitable funeral songs, you are welcome to Send in Your Song Recommendations Here
The music is listed in the alphabetical order of the first name of the artist or group eg. Michael Jackson is under M
Popular Contemporary Funeral Songs
* Music Box by Mariah Carey
* Speed by Montgomery Gentry
* Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python
* Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole
* Break Your Heart by Natalie Merchant
* Beloved Wife by Natalie Merchant
* Childhood Dreams by Nellie Furtado
* Dream Catch Me by Newton Faulkner
* Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum
* Blue Skies by Noah and The Whale
* Bittersweet Symphony by Oasis
* Don’t Look Back In Anger by Oasis
* Goodbye To Romance by Ozzy Osbourne
* Oceans by Pearl Jam
* Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
* Starting Over by Pegi Young
* Together In Electric Dreams by Phil Oakley and Georgio Moroder
* Try by Pink
* Who Knew by Pink
* I’ll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
* These Are The Days of Our Lives by Queen
* First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack
* Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
* Lost Forever, Left For Dreaming by The Rockets
* Forever Young by Rod Stewart
* An Irish Blessing by Roma Downey
* If Tomorrow Never Comes by Ronan Keating
* Lay Me Down by Sam Smith
* Bible Song by Sara Evans
* If You Could See Me Now by The Script
* I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan
* Miss You Love by Silverchair
* Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor
* Gone too Soon by Simple Plan
* I’m Coming Home by Sheppard
* As I Lay Me Down by Sophie B. Hawkins
* Bullet Train by Stephen Swartz featuring Joni Fatora
* You Are The Sunshine Of My Life by Stevie Wonder
* Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
* Summer Of John Wayne by Tom McRae
* Reminisce by The Tony Valentine Band
* Wait For Me by The Tony Valentine Band
* Song Long, Farewell from The Sound of Music Soundtrack
* All I Want Is You by U2
* Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon
* The Day You Went Away by Wendy Matthews
* See You Again by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
* Forever Young by Youth Group
* Moving On by The Zombies
Thanks to the extremely talented Sheree Brittain and her extensive CD collection for providing some of the song list.
Special thanks also to the many people who have sent in suggestions in the comments form below, and people who make suggestions on various forums around the internet.
What are the best funeral songs?
What is the best song you ever heard at a funeral?
What song do you want played at your funeral?
Do you ever hear a song on the radio and it brings back memories of a funeral you attended?
Are you a musician with an original song that could be added to our list?
Share your story in the comments below 🙂