Popular Songs and Music played at funerals and memorials
This page is a list of possible funeral songs. Are you looking for a beautiful piece of music…just the perfect funeral song to remember someone you love? A fitting tune to say goodbye? You have come to the right place!
To me, music is one of the most important aspects of a funeral service. In my previous business (releasing white doves) I have been to plenty of funerals and I am always interested in what music gets played at each funeral service. Even if I have never met the person that is being remembered, I can learn a lot about them by the music that is played at their funeral. It is part of the emotional reflection of a person’s life.
The funeral songs chosen to be played for your loved one will be like a treasure for you and the family and friends of your loved one as time passes and as you are processing the grief. Whenever you want to take time to remember that person, you can play their funeral songs. If you randomly hear their funeral songs on the radio, it will be a nice time to spontaneously reflect and remember that person and the good times you shared.
This funeral song list is quite long, but by no means complete. If you know of other suitable funeral songs, you are welcome to Send in Your Song Recommendations Here
Most of the music is listed in categories in alphabetical order of the first name of the artist or composer.
Popular Contemporary Funeral Songs
* Moonlight Lady by Julio Iglesias
* The Last Day On Earth by Kate Miller-Heidke
* Dancing by Kylie Minogue
* Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins
* You and Me by Lifehouse
* Shadow Of The Day by Linkin Park
* Heaven by Los Lonely Boys
* What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
* Funeral by Lukas Graham
* Do You Remember The Time by Michael Jackson
* Gone Too Soon by Michael Jackson
* Music Box by Mariah Carey
* Together In Electric Dreams by Phil Oakley and Georgio Moroder
* Beloved Wife by Natalie Merchant
* Childhood Dreams by Nellie Furtado
* Dream Catch Me by Newton Faulkner
* Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum
* Don’t Look Back In Anger by Oasis
* Oceans by Pearl Jam
* Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
* Who Knew by Pink
* I’ll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
* Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
* Forever Young by Rod Stewart
* An Irish Blessing by Roma Downey
* If Tomorrow Never Comes by Ronan Keating
* Lay Me Down by Sam Smith
* I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan
* Miss You Love by Silverchair
* Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor
* Gone too Soon by Simple Plan
* As I Lay Me Down by Sophie B. Hawkins
* You Are The Sunshine Of My Life by Stevie Wonder
* Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
* Reminisce by The Tony Valentine Band
* Wait For Me by The Tony Valentine Band
* Song Long, Farewell from The Sound of Music Soundtrack
* Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon
* The Day You Went Away by Wendy Matthews
* See You Again by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
* I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
* Forever Young by Youth Group
Songs About Letting Go and Flying Free
Thanks to the extremely talented Sheree Brittain and her extensive CD collection for providing some of the song list.
Special thanks also to the many people who have sent in suggestions in the comments form below, and people who make suggestions on various forums around the internet.
Country Music Funeral Songs
- Angels Among Us by Alabama
- Can You Hear Me When I Talk To You by Ashley Gearing
- Ships Of Heaven by Blackhawk
- When I Get Where I’m Going by Brad Paisley
- Believe by Brooks & Dunn
- I Miss My Friend by Darryl Worley
- I Believe by Diamond Rio
- Landslide by The Dixie Chicks
- Bury Me by Dwight Yoakam
- I Want You To Live by George Canyon
- Back Home Again by John Denver
- Country Road by John Denver
- Looking Through Your Eyes by LeAnn Rimes
- Don’t Cry A Tear by Lyle Lovett
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing by Mark Chesnutt
- Holes In The Floor Of Heaven by Steve Wariner
- Angels In Waiting by Tammy Cochran
- Angels In Waiting by Tammy Cochran
- On The Road Again by Willie Nelson
Special Songs for the loss of a baby or child
Thanks to Jessica and Jim Rose, Founders of The Three Little Angels Foundation for these song suggestions. The Three Little Angels Foundation offers unique tools to help parents suffering the heartbreak of infant death.
Classical Music, Instrumental Music, and Hymns
Unusual and Unconventional Funeral Songs
Here are some “different” choices for songs to play at a funeral.
I’ve only ever heard a few of them actually being played at a funeral (and when I did I had to stop myself from giggling!)…but this list was devised after I heard a radio program where people were asked to phone in and name unusual songs that were played at funerals they have attended.
I would only ever choose to play any of these songs at a funeral if they were either the absolute most favorite song of the deceased person, or if that person had a wicked sense of humor 😉
Lily's List: Songs that were played at Lily's funeral
This song list is dedicated to the memory of Lily Bennett who passed away from a terrible car accident on 17th June, 2007 aged 3. 100s of people attended her funeral on a cold but sunny Saturday, 23rd June 2007.
Lily loved life and loved music – so music played a large part of her funeral service. Here are some of her favorite songs that were played in her memory.
What are the best funeral songs?
What is the best song you ever heard at a funeral?
What song do you want played at your funeral?
Do you ever hear a song on the radio and it brings back memories of a funeral you attended?
Are you a musician with an original song that could be added to our list?
Share your story in the comments below 🙂